Shilpgram Udaipur Entry Fee
- 30 per person for Indian Adults
- 15 per person for Indian Children
- 50 per person for Foreigner
Shilpgram Udaipur Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 75 reviews
Shilpgram Udaipur Address: Shilpgram, Udaipur, Rajasthan, 313001, India
Udaipur Tour Packages
Shilpgram Udaipur Timings
|Monday||11:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Tuesday||11:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Wedesday||11:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Thursday||11:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Friday||11:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Saturday||11:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Sunday||11:00 am – 7:00 pm|
Note: The Popular Haat Bazaar at Shilpgram is open for public from 12:00 pm everydayLinks: Website | Map
No wonder, with the world on the road to digitalization, it is tough to preserve the history and culture of your motherland. However, you can come across major tourist destinations in India which protect the customs and traditions of their city through the preservation of art and crafts. The unique art and crafts festivals are hosted to showcase and motivate the talent of their traditional workers with pride.
Phyllis George said, ‘The function of the craft is to make us feel rooted, provide us with a sense of belonging and connect us with our past. Our ancestors created these crafts out of necessity, and now we do them for fun, to make money, and to express ourselves.”
Shilpgram Festival held in the Shilpgram complex of Udaipur is the real example of the same. The meaning of the term ‘Shilpgram’ is the ‘village of artisans.’ Shilpgram is the lively and exclusive museum of traditional Rajasthani arts and crafts with a hint of Mughal and European history.
Shilpgram is the best platform for rural folk and indigenous people of the western side of Rajasthan to showcase their art and crafts skills. Other than Shilpgram, the tourism of Udaipur also offers many other sites of rich cultural history and diversity. Hence, to help you experience the beauty and splendor of the city, Udaipur Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA offers best touring tips and tricks.
Location of Shilpgram
Located in the western Udaipur, Shilpgram is situated at a distance of 3 Km from Udaipur city. Surrounded by the Aravali ranges, the Shilpgram is spread around 70 acres of undulating terrain, making a unique and unshakable place in the lap of nature.
Architecture of Shilpgram
Surrounded by several huts, Shilpgram is constructed in the old architectural style to offer the feel of rural markets. The small huts are built using mud and natural building material to give the real picture of the ethnic diversity of the western states of India. The hut offers workspace to occupational dwellers making the place a lot livelier.
Every hut or traditional village house has a distinct style and features reflecting the history and culture of each state it is representing. The occupational homes of the artisans are constructed in an adjoining manner to reflect the concept of “Unity in Diversity.” There are about 26 huts which include five from Rajasthan, five from Maharashtra, five from Goa and seven from Gujarat.
There is an open-air amphitheater in the Shilpgram Complex offering a seating facility for about 8000 people. The amphitheater is used to conduct festivals at regular intervals. The special tribal and folk dances performed during the celebrations are a treat to watch.
Image Gallery of Shilpgram Udaipur
History of Shilpgram
The Shilpgram is an ideal place to interact and explore the artistic fervor of the Indian culture. It is a place where history, culture, and heritage are bound together to offer a ravishing image of glorious Indian past. Rajiv Gandhi inaugurated Shilpgram in the year 1989.
The place is situated in the old countryside of Udaipur to give an unbiased portrayal of rural life of artisans. The Shilpgram festival conducted on the last ten days around the year end, is an age-old tradition. The artisans and performers flock here from all over to country to showcase their talent and high spirits.
How to reach Shilpgram
Located about 10 km away from Lal Ghat, Shilpgram is situated at an easily accessible location. You can take a flight, train or a bus to reach Shilpgram.
Airport-The Maharana Pratap Airport is located 23.3 Km away from Shilpgram. Once you are out of the airport, you can take a private cab or use taxi service to reach your location.
Train-The Udaipur railway station is located 2.4 Km away from Shilpgram. You can take a cab or an auto-rickshaw from the station to reach Shilpgram.
Public Transport- There is plenty of deluxe and non-deluxe buses available to and from Udaipur. The State-run buses are the best option as they are both safe and comfortable.
Please note that commuting within the city can be troublesome, due to new locations and traffic. Hence it is better to hire a private taxi. Udaipur tourism brings to you a few of the top car rental companies in Udaipur, offering you super-friendly rides in and around the city at a very affordable price.
Entry fees and timings of Shilpgram
The Timings of Shilpgram is from 11 am to 7 pm. It is open on all days of the week. The Haat Bazaar is open at noon daily.
The Entry Fee to visit Shilpgram varies for Indians and Foreigners. The price of tickets for Indian adults and kids are Rs.30 and Rs.15 per person respectively. Whereas the cost of tickets for foreigners is Rs.50 per person.
Best Time to visit Shilpgram
The Shilpgram is at its best in the month of December. In the last ten days of the year, the annual fair is conducted. The lively nature of the festival offers both educational benefits and entertainment. The Shilpgram takes place every year for the duration of 10 days from 21st December to 30th December.
Things to do at Shilpgram
Shilpgram has a plethora of things to do, view, and enjoy. This ten-day festival offers an unforgettable glimpse of rural life of different western states of India with the help of artworks, dances, songs, stunts, and dramas. These artistic wonders not only entertain the viewers but also give a quick insight into the cultures. You can enjoy the vibrant atmosphere of Shilpgram by becoming a part of the crowd.
• You can dance to the local beats, taste local foods, look around at the breathtaking stunts like balancing on the ropes, swinging, walking on the pans.
• You can see art exhibitions; interact with the carpenters, potters, blacksmiths, weavers, needleworkers, and all the other occupational dwellers to learn about their struggles, successes, and failures. If you love hearing stories, this is the best thing to do.
• You can have a brief look at the tremendous artistic wonders in the form of mirror and beadwork, weaving, pottery, and embroidery. These are housed in the seven different huts from Gujarat. The intricately carved hut made up of wood belongs to the Gandhinagar region of Gujarat.
• The five shacks of Goa showcase the house of a fisherman and the potter’s hut along with the grass weavers and cane.
• The Maharashtra hut presents marvelous wall paintings, an ancient and traditional lost-wax casting work, leather slippers and dokras, and many more.
• If you wish to get a more profound knowledge of art and craft skills, you can attend the workshops and camps held at Shilpgram. You can also learn and observe the art of designing and decorating metal, terracotta, textile, wooden, and bamboo artifacts.
• If you have a knack for hoarding intricate pieces of arts, places like Shilpgram are just for you. You can buy some of the most incredible pieces of furniture, glass-works, exquisitely hand-spun and embroidered clothing, cute trinkets, jewelry, and stunning handicrafts.
• Along with rural workers, the contemporary urban visual artists, potters, designers and ceramists come together in Shilpgram to create marvelous pieces of art to be put in exhibitions every day.
Sightseeing Places near Shilpgram
Shilpgram is located at a very touristy location. You can find many exciting places nearby, such as the following.
• Shilpi Restaurant, found just outside the Shilpgram, is an authentic restaurant serving quintessential continental, vegetarian and non-vegetarian cuisines.
• You can also visit Bhartiya Lok Kala Mandal which is located closeby. The Mandal showcases singers and folk dancers from various towns.
• If you wish to attend any monument, then Sajjangarh Palace or Monsoon Palace located 4 km away is the ultimate place for you. The Palace depicts the enthralling beauty and culture of Mewar dynasty.
• Lake Fateh Sagar is also not far, it is just 5.8 km away. So, if you wish to take a boating ride. In the evening, the beauty of the Lake is at its peak.
• The Sajjangarh Wildlife Sanctuary is situated 20 minutes away from the Sajjangarh Palace; the place is a treat for animal lovers.
Interesting facts about Shilpgram
• One of the most exciting things about Shilpgram is how the festival amalgamates the rural and urban arts and crafts to offer a stunning product.
• You can enjoy famous camel rides around the Shilpgram.
Things to remember while visiting Shilpgram
• Please put on your comfortable walking shoes as the place is spread over 70 acres.
• It would be best if you carry a water bottle as it takes hours to explore the Shilpgram.
• You can bring your camera as photography is allowed at no extra cost.
If you wish to explore every element of history and mystery of the City of Lakes, you can quickly opt for our All-inclusive Udaipur tour packages. These packages are curated with great care and precision as your comfort is our priority. There is a list of services and facilities offered to every tourist according to the packages.
With our packages you can visit all the popular sightseeing places of Udaipur in a comfortable manner. To know more, please fill the Contact Us form.