History is not dependent on the number of pages in your history book; history is all around us, speaking of the exceptional valor of people in the past. Every aspect of the glorious city of Udaipur recites tales of great chivalrous men and women of the past. The Indian history is over-brimming with the great stories of battles fought by great warriors of the time. One of the most bloody and fiercest battles ever fought in the Indian history is the ‘Battle of Haldighati’.
Haldighati is a magical place, appearing like a canvas painted in dark yellow color. The full wind blowing on the field narrates the bravery and valor of Maharana Pratap of Mewar dynasty.
Udaipur is a gold mine of Rajput history and its culture is reflected in every aspect of this beautiful city. Every nook and corner recites the legendary stories about the prevalent kings and queens of a bygone era. Exclusive to the great legends of Maharana Pratap, Udaipur offers an enthralling travel experience. We at Udaipur Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, provide Udaipur City tours to help you get marvelous vacation experience in the best possible manner.
Location of Haldighati
Situated in the Aravalli range, the historic site of Haldighati is 40 km away from the central Udaipur city near the Rakt Talai on the Maharana Pratap Stadium Road. The Haldighati region is situated in the Aravalli mountain range which links the Pali and Rajasamad districts in Rajasthan.
Architecture of Haldighati
Haldighati is a unique historic mountain pass located in the Aravalli Mountain range. Haldighati derived its name from the term ‘Haldi’ means turmeric in English, used as a spice in Indian delicacies and ‘Ghati’ means valley which together makes the name Haldighati. The soil found in this region of Udaipur is yellow in color, hence the place is named Haldighati.
There is a cenotaph called chhatri in Hindi built on the place where the horse of Maharana Pratap, Chetak breathed his last. This cenotaph is located at a close distance of 4 Km from the Haldighati in pure white marble to pay respect and admire the contribution of the fastest horse in Indian history.
You can find Balicha village located close to the region known for its unique knowledge of arts and crafts via terracotta. There is a stunning garden in the name of Badshahi Bagh. The presence of ‘Chaitri-Gulab, original and authentic rose water, and ‘Gulkand’ (jam made from rose petals) is unique to this garden. The rose water is of great medicinal importance.
In the proximity, you can find the Maharana Pratap National Memorial, built in the year 1997 under the commission of Government of India. The memorial showcases an extraordinary statue of Maharana Pratap riding his horse made of bronze metal. You can also locate a museum in the name of Maharana Pratap. The doors of the museum were opened for the public in the year 2003.
Image Gallery of Haldighati Udaipur
History of Haldighati
Known for the bloodiest battle fought in the region, the Battle of Haldighati has an essential place in history. If you have a slight bent towards Indian history, you will know that the Indian history is incomplete without reference to the Battle of Haldighati.
This historic Battle of Haldighati has been fought on 21st June 1576 between Maharana Pratap, the Mewar King, and Emperor Akbar, a Mughal ruler. Even though it is one of the most significant battles in Rajput history, it was also the shortest battle ever fought in the past.
This ferocious fight fought on this narrow strip of mountains lasted for 4 hours, only leading to mass-scale death of the heroic soldiers of the time. The blood could be found all over the place, making it turned red instead of yellow in this case.
Sadly Maharana Pratap lost the battle to Raja Man Singh of Amber, one of the most trusted army generals of Mughals during the times.
Haldighati is also significant for another reason, i.e., the unexplainable companionship of Maharana Pratap and his horse, Chetak. Chetak, the loyal companion of Pratap, took his last breath just a few kilometers away, only after leaving Pratap to a safe place.
Haldighati is considered to be the pride of the Rajsamand district of Udaipur. The stellar role of Haldighati and its indifferent aura reminds us of the sacrifices made by the gallant warriors to protect the honor of the Rajputana kingdom. The place also sends chills down the spine as it speaks of the merciless killings and selfless acts of soldiers made to protect India from the clutches of brutal foreign forces.
How to reach Haldighati
Being a very well-connected city, Udaipur is highly accessible via airways, railways, and roadways. Below mentioned are the three ideal ways to reach the glorious land of Haldighati.
· Airport- Maharana Pratap Airport is the only airport in the Udaipur which is found at a distance of 50 km away from the Haldighati. You can take advantage of regular domestic flights coming through various cities like Jaipur, Jodhpur, Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, and Ahmedabad. Once you have deboarded, you can either take a direct bus or take a private cab (which is highly recommended) to reach Haldighati in no time.
· Railway Station- Udaipur Railway Station is about 146 Km away from the Haldighati region of Udaipur. It is about a 3-hour journey from the railway station and Udaipur. The Udaipur Railway Station is well-linked to significant railways stations namely Delhi, Jodhpur, Chennai, Agra, Mumbai, Bikaner, Jaipur, and Ahmedabad.
· Public Transport- Haldighati is located quite close to Nathdwara district of Udaipur, which is easily accessible. You can avail local transports like autorickshaw, cabs, taxis, or government-run buses. The transport corporation of nearby states of Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, and Madhya Pradesh runs both deluxe and non-deluxe buses to Udaipur which is a safe and affordable option for commuting to Udaipur.
Udaipur is a historic city, serving as one of the best tourist destinations in Rajasthan. Tourists travel from various places to Haldighati, Udaipur to enlighten themselves with the rich and diverse culture of this region. Surrounded by tourists during all the time of year, it is a little confusing to travel in Udaipur.
You can find more than one way to reach a particular destination, making commuting a big hassle. Hence, it is in the best interest to hire a private taxi. You can contact Udaipur Tourism to find a list of the top car rental companies in Udaipur, offering safe and secure travel with zero hassles and 100% comfort at your disposal.
Best time to visit Haldighati
The best time to visit Haldighati is the month between October and March. During this time, you can escape the unbearable heat of the sun. The months from July to September end are also favorable as rainy season acts a savior here.
Things to do at Haldighati
Other than exploring the mountainous region, you can visit nearby places conducting various activities to engage the visitors.
· The Maharana Pratap Museum, located in the Haldighati region of Udaipur, conducts a light and sound show in the evening inside the museum premises.
· You can also have a brief look at the diverse collection of paintings and weapons associated with the Battle of Haldighati or watch a 10-minutes animation movie telling the tales of Maharana Pratap at the museum.
· You will be amazed to find the exotic event held every year on the birthday of Maharana Pratap. The cultural programs are held in association with the nearby tribal groups to celebrate the occasion and to pay tribute to the great son of Mewar Kingdom.
· You can also attend the ‘Chetak Horse Festival’ which initially began in 1992 by the Maharaj Narendra Singh, the Mewar Royalty. The main reason behind conducting this festival was to promote as well as preserve the Marwari breed of Indian horses, both nationally as well as internationally.
Places to visit near Haldighati
Other than Maharana Pratap Museum and Chetak Smarak, you can find a variety of areas in the form of temples, age-old forts and royal palaces to travel around the Haldighati. Some of the best places located within the 10 km radius are mentioned below.
1. The Nala Re Bherunath Ji temple, Kaloda Mahakali Temple, Varai Mata Temple, Bhawani Mata Temple Semal Rajasthan, Gada Mataji, Sri Harirai Ji Baithak, Kheda Devi Mataji Molela, Neramand Bherunath, the famous Saas bahu Temple are found nearby.
2. Ambrai Ghat is a beautiful place to sit and relax for some time.
3. Rakt Talai Khamnore is a lovely state park to visit nearby.
4. Molela Terracotta- Molela Terracotta is a small, nondescript village of potters found on the banks of river Banas. The art of flat terracotta plaques is unique to this village.
5. City Palace- City Palace is one of the gorgeous palaces in the Udaipur began in 1559. The 11 rulers used to sit together in this palace.
6. Ahar Museum- This archaeologically significant museum is a storehouse of exquisite royal cenotaphs of Mewar Kingdom found on display.
7. Sri Ekling Ji Temple- One of the most prominent temples of Lord Shiva in Udaipur is the best place to visit.
8. Lal Baug- Lal Baugh is a famous restaurant serving authentic Rajasthani food.
9. Maharana Pratap Gaurav Kendra Rashtriya Tirth is an excellent place to seek historical knowledge.
10. You can also find the Kumbhalgarh Fort nearby.
Interesting facts about Haldighati
- Even though the battle was the most fierce battle, you will be amazed to know that it was inconclusive in nature.
- You will be amazed to know that the Maharana Pratap army had 22,000 soldiers in the Battle of Haldighati, whereas Akbar’s army had 80,000 soldiers.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Haldighati
· Always carry a hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses with you to protect yourself from the scorching heat of the sun.
· To get a piece of detailed knowledge, make sure you visit the Maharana Pratap Museum, or you can also hire a tourist guide to recite you all the hidden history and mystery surrounding the place.
· Wear comfortable clothes and footwear to the region as you need to walk for long hours.
To give your travel experience a quick boost, you can opt for one of the All-inclusive Udaipur tour packages offered by Udaipur Tourism. With the help of these customized Udaipur tour packages, you can explore the city in a fun manner which will be dotted with an enviable list of services and facilities expected by the prospective guest. To explore more about these packages, you can reach us by filling the Contact Us form.