Gulab Bagh and Zoo Udaipur Entry Fee
- 25 per person for Entry to the Garden
- 5 per person for Zoo Entry Fee
- 15 for Camera Fee (only for the zoo)
Gulab Bagh and Zoo Udaipur Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 65 reviews
Gulab Bagh and Zoo Udaipur Address: Bapu Bazar Road, In Sajjan Niwas Bagh, Gulab bagh, Khanjipeer, Udaipur, Rajasthan, 313001, India
Udaipur Tour Packages
Gulab Bagh and Zoo Udaipur Timings
|Monday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Tuesday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Wedesday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Thursday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Friday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Saturday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Sunday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm|
Note:The Gulab Bagh Garden Open for 24 hours & Zoo Timings are from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm (everyday)Links: Website | Map
Nature is the most prominent teacher in life, teaching us the importance of living in harmony with every element on the planet. However, due to ever-changing environmental conditions, it has become quite challenging to remain close to nature. This is the reason the concept of wildlife sanctuaries and gardens came into being. One of the most beautiful and well-kept animal and plant habitats are found in Udaipur region of Rajasthan named the Gulab Bagh.
Gulab Bagh, also called the Udaipur Zoo, is spread over an area of 100 acres. It is a must-visit place for the flora and fauna lovers as it is the most extensive garden found in Udaipur. The garden has a wide array of things which are an essential aspect of this stunning garden and are aesthetically pleasing in nature. These exclusive sights are worth cherishing.
The place gets its name from the rose as they are found in abundance here. The lotus pond within the Gulab Bagh is tremendously beautiful; it is a treat for the eyes. The crystal clear blue water and the pink lotus with green leaves, floating on the pond are truly rejuvenating.
Flora and Fauna at the Gulab Bagh
You can also come across some of the most prominent trees in the Gulab Bagh premises such as mango, guava, grapes, lemon, boar, mulberry, Rayan, pomegranate, bananas, sapota, tamarind, bullock's heart (Ramphal), litchi, aging trees, wood apple, karonda, camper, citron, gammon, pomelo, Meetha neem, Karachi lime, ficus species, Anola, jackfruit, dhanverjia, ground flora, Jasmin, Dawood and many more.
There is a zoo in the Gulab Bagh premises, providing a home to various rare animal species such as the Black Leopards, Ostriches, Zebras, Hoolock Gibbons, Rhinos to name a few.
Udaipur is the brightest gem in the crown of Rajasthan with a glorious past of Rajputs found in every nook and corner. Being the origin of the Mewar dynasty, Udaipur is home to marvelous elements. These elements are found in the form of several palaces, gardens, lakes, statues, zoos, and many other sights which highlight the surreal beauty of this place. To get an enthralling experience of Udaipur, you can reach out to Udaipur Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA offering best packages for Udaipur tour.
Location of Gulab Bagh
Located on the Bapu Bazar Road, Gulab Bagh is a fun place situated near the Sajjan Niwas Bagh. The Bagh spreads from edges of Suraj pole and Udia pole area. Nayio ki Talai, Choti Brahmpuri, Kalaji Goraji, and Mograwadi are the colonies found close to the zoo. The main road circling the Gulab Bagh is known as Gulab Bagh Road.
Image Gallery of Gulab Bagh and Zoo Udaipur
Architecture of Gulab Bagh
Gulab Bagh is an ancient sub-city level park, showcasing the lush green campus, with ponds, library, zoological park, temples, and many government offices. The park has four entrance gates, out of which only two are open to the general public.
The parking capacity of the garden includes 350 two-wheelers and 50 four-wheelers. The park has boundary wall of 3-5 m in height which is made of concrete, stone, and brick, offering a rusty yet elegant appearance.
History of Gulab Bagh
Built-in the year 1881during the reign of Maharaja Sajjan Singh, Gulab Bagh is home to exquisite and history of Mewar dynasty. This garden was also known as the Sajjan Niwas Garden. The zoo in this garden stands fourth in the list of the oldest zoos in the semi-continent. The garden has a great significance in Indian medicine. You will be amazed to find a large number of medicinal plants.
In the 1920s, a horticulturist named T.H. Story, from Madras was hired to grow medicinal plants in the garden. To create better awareness and facilitate the viewers, all the plants and trees present in the Gulab Bagh have nameplates installed under it. The nameplates have a systematic botanical name inscribed on it in both Hindi, the mother tongue and English language.
The Waterworks complex found in the garden is another beautiful site which was built after demolishing a small pond. The pond was initially home to a water lily, Victoria sp. The astounding fact about the water lily, Victoria sp is the formidable strength of its leaves. The leaf of Victoria which could withstand a child on a chair kept on it.
Another name for the Gulab Bagh Garden is the Badabagh, mainly because of its enormous size. The name lost its popularity due to the ravages of time. The Victoria Museum in the garden has a remarkable library known as the Saraswati Bhawan Library; Maharana Sajjan Singh laid the foundation stone of this extraordinary home of knowledge.
The museum showcases many rare artifacts and stone manuscript dating back to the 3rd century. Earlier, on the opposite side of the Victoria Museum, you could spot a statue of Queen Victoria. However, in 1947, to mark the independence of India, the figure of Mahatma Gandhi is installed.
Entry fees and timings of Gulab Bagh
- Gulab Bagh is open all days of the week.
- The doors of the Gulab Bagh open from 8 AM to 6 PM.
- The cost of a ticket for Indian adult and child, for the garden is INR 25 per person, and for the zoo is INR 5. The camera fee for the zoo is INR 15.
Things to do at Gulab Bagh
• Gulab Bagh has a library named Saraswati Library; it is the first library of Rajasthan. The museum has a famous and impressive collection of antiques, curios, royal household items and other relics from the past. It has 32000 books related to history, archeology, Indology and some manuscripts. Books can be taken from the library for a period of 14 days.
• Navlakha Mahal is a religious place for Arya Samaj. It is located in the centermost area of the Gulab Bagh.
• There is a small toy train in the zoo that is available for both adults and kids at a very nominal charge. The toy train departs and arrives from the station called Luv Kush station.
• The zoo is located in the garden and has a variety of animals in the cages.
• Kamal Talai- this is a vast artificial water body towards the northeast part of the garden. It is oval-shaped.
• Miraj Jyortish Upvan- this is an acupressure park that is maintained by Miraj Products. The park will enrich you with knowledge of Ayurvedic and Non- Ayurvedic plants found all around the garden.
How to reach Gulab Bagh
The Gulab Bagh is a famous tourist spot in the city; hence, it is easily accessible via airport, railway station and other public transport.
• Airport: The airport is located at a distance of 20km from the Gulab Bagh. Bus, taxi, or private cars can be hired to cover the distance and help you reach your desired destination safe and sound.
• Udaipur Railway station: The Udaipur Railway station is situated at a distance of 1 Km. You can take local transport like an auto-rickshaw or a bus to reach Gulab Bagh.
• Public Transport: Udaipur is a well-connected city; you can either ply a private or a state-run bus to reach Gulab Bagh, The nearby states of Rajasthan like Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, and Uttar Pradesh and Delhi NCR Transport Authority runs buses regularly to and fro from the city. A road trip to Udaipur can be taken from the well maintained and easy to drive National Highway 8.
Udaipur is a significant tourist city which makes it a little difficult to travel in and around the city. You can find more than one way to reach a particular tourist destination, which can leave you puzzled and confused. To avoid confusion and to prevent from spoiling your vacation mood, it is always advisable to hire a private cab. Udaipur Tourism is the best place to find the list of top-class car rental services in Udaipur with 100% assurance of safety and security.
Places to visit near Gulab Bagh
Gulab Bagh is located close to many tourist places such as Lake Pichola, Vintage and Classic car museum, Pala Ganesh temple. The Bagh is in the southeast of the City Palace, making it close to many significant tourist attractions of Udaipur.
Interesting facts about Gulab Bagh
The best time to visit the Gulab Bagh in Udaipur is between the months of September to March.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Gulab Bagh
- Photography is allowed, so carry your camera.
- It is our duty to preserve our mother nature, therefore please do not throw any plastic bottles or packets in the garden.
To get a brief insight into the vibrant life in the Udaipur city, you can opt for All-inclusive Udaipur tour packages and spend a great and exciting vacation here that you will remember for the rest of your life. The packages can be personalized, as per the needs of the prospective travelers. To get more details about our personalized packages, you can reach us by filling the Contact Us form.